Raising children or working with children on a regular basis can be a challenging task. Sometimes, one just feels lost and does not know what to do, what to say, what not to do or what not to say! Of course, all of us are human and have the right to make our share of mistakes. However, it helps to be aware of our thoughts, beliefs and behaviour with respect to children so we don't end up making mistakes all the time. This would help us lead a more peaceful life with them, bring happiness into the relationship and most importantly win their trust. Read on for a few thoughts we can keep in mind.
- Look for the good in the child.
- Slow down.
- Do not give constant instructions.
- Do not panic or assume that the child is not intelligent. Every child is intelligent in his own way.
- Take one step at a time.
- Help him build on his strengths.
- Help him work on his weaknesses without being critical.
- Be firm yet kind.
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on him.
- Help him move towards independence in every respect.
- Appreciate every milestone he crosses.
- Do not judge his capabilities based on his performance in exams.
- NEVER insult him in front of others or even while alone.
- Expose him to a variety of learning experiences during his growing years.
- Do not restrict his learning to academics alone.
- Encourage his interests and talents.
- Be consistent in your behaviour towards him.
- Do not tell him things that are not true.
- Do not instill unnecessary fears or "your personal fears" in him.
- Say "sorry" when you have been wrong.
- Be a friend.
- Smile more often.
- Respect him and his views even if you do not agree with them.
Relax and enjoy the phase of his childhood. It will be gone even before you know it!
<p>Image: <a href="http://www.freedigitalphotos.net" target="_blank">FreeDigitalPhotos.net</a></p>